Friday, July 20, 2012

Black Box Chardonnay

We were invited to a friend’s home the other night for elk burgers.

They were delicious. Pink and tender and juicy. Not beef, but very good. Not wild and “gamy,” just an excellent burger.

We’d brought a bottle of Cupcake Chardonnay, but our hostess had some Black Box Chardonnay ready to pour.

Visit This External Website

I was impressed. I had a glass with the chips and salsa and it went really well with the nutty flavors of the chips and it seemed to even out the salsa’s heat. I tasted citrus and maybe a hint of pineapple. Then we moved on to grilled veggies. I lost the citrus and pineapple flavors, but the wine stayed smooth. It never felt harsh on my palate. It didn’t have much left to stand up against the elk with. It didn’t detract from the burger, but it didn’t bring anything to the party either.

All in all, I’d have it again. I’d serve it with appetizers and a salad course, then move on to something else for the entrée. Although I’d like to have this again with chicken to see how it handles itself with poultry. Maybe the elk was just too much to face. I know how it feels. I’ve been wrestling with computer issues all day.

In fact, I should go find a glass of something and quit wrestling and call it a day. Much like the wine did when faced with a juicy elk burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment