Friday, July 13, 2012

Beringer: Gateway Wine

Beringer White Zinfandel was my gateway wine. It’s all I drank. For years. I didn’t matter the menu, if the entrée was chicken or beef or elk. If I had a glass of wine, it was Beringer’s White Zin.

I’ve come a little way since then. beringer chard

   I still prefer light and fruity to musty. But the white zin has gotten too sweet for my palate.

   Someone, I’m not sure if it was me or Wine Snob Hubby, had put a bottle of Beringer Chardonnay in the wine fridge and it migrated to the big girl fridge. I opened it last night.

    I’d been gone all day, driving to the coast and back, to visit a friend. I got home to a house without electricity. The outside temperature was 101. Panic ensued. What if the power didn’t come back? I’d have to take the dog and the cat and find shelter elsewhere.

I poured a glass of wine while I waited and considered my options.

I wasn’t hungry so I had glass number one by itself.

I’m a big chardonnay fan so I have to say I was disappointed with the Beringer Chardonnay. It was harsh, almost astringent along the sides of my tongue.

The power came back on. The A/C clicked on. I had a glass of wine. Life was good once more.

I decided to try the chardonnay with food. I heated up some leftover rice pilaf and tried again.

The food did cut the acidity, but it still felt and tasted too harsh.

I’ll try another glass tonight. We’re having lamb, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment